October 16, 2007

let's fly, let's fly away

weather-wise, it's such a lovely day . . .

Weather-wise it's such a lovely day
You just say the words and we'll beat the birds
Down to Acapulco Bay

Sorry it took me a while to post this project, I didn't want to spoil the surprise and had to wait for delivery to its recipient. ;) Meet the "Come Fly with Me" tote.

The whole project was inspired by and designed the green feathered fabric, a scrap that was found during a purging session at the theatre. Immediately I knew I wanted to make something from it, and for whom: my dearest friend H, who graduated with me and started grad school this fall (in arts administration). H was an incredible support to me, encouraging me to pursue costuming, and I wanted to give her something that not only represented but manifested some of that.

once I get you up there, where the air is rarified . . .

Some details on construction: For the bird I used this reverse applique technique, with slight modifications (basically, adding several layers of interfacing to accommodate the differences between tote bag and t-shirt!). Before this, the brown fabric was free motion machine embroidered (the "cloud" texture) and then interfaced, so that neither the fabric nor the stitching would fray when the applique was cut. Did I mention adding interfacing? :D

The bag also includes a zippered pocket in the lining, which I love! And using Lisa's tutorial, it was super easy to make. I should have gotten better pictures of it; it adds so much to the finished bag. (The lining is also made from recycled sheets - lightweight but sturdy!)

It seems cliche sometimes even to feel it, but saying goodbye is a difficult thing. I knew I would miss a lot, leaving college and the friends I had made, but one of the hardest things I anticipated was the shift of creative atmosphere. Friendships like H's built up a fertile and supportive environment for creativity. We cannot, however, dwell on stolen moments. The much better alternative is to take those memories and friendships with us, giving flight to even greater creative journeys.

Come fly with me, let's take off in the blue . . .

let's take off in the blue . . .

1 comment:

Casey Maura said...

What a beautiful tote bag!! I just love the colors that you chose. Thanks for the links to those helpful tutorials too; I shall definitely be checking out that reverse appliqué... ;)